History of Durable Corporation
On January 24, 1923 P.J. Swanson and Chas. T. Lyons formed the Tire Mat and Bi-Products Company, Inc. to capitalize on the patent filed by P.J. Swanson for the invention of the tire-link mat. In July of 1924, Chas. T. Lyons, H.W. Bell and Howard R. Lyons formed a successor company called Durable Mat Company, Inc. and were shortly joined by C.L. Morris and Falcon Joslin, whom jointly comprised the management team that would established what is today Durable Corporation.
While the company was established in Seattle, Washington, there were several additional facilities established both in the West and the East. Durable first came to the Akron, Ohio area in the late 1920’s to get closer to its raw material source, scrap bias ply tires, and ultimately established a permanent facility in Norwalk, Ohio in 1941. Today, this same Norwalk location remains as the sole manufacturing and distribution facility of the company totalling over 70,000 square feet of manufacturing and warehouse space.